The current term of office of United States Magistrate Judge Susan Russ Walker at the United States District Court for the Middle District of Alabama is due to expire on April 22, 2020. The United States District Court is required by law to establish a panel of citizens to consider the reappointment of the magistrate judge to a new eight-year term.
The duties of a magistrate judge in this court include the following:
- conduct of most preliminary proceedings in criminal cases;
- trial and disposition of misdemeanor cases;
- conduct of various pretrial matters and evidentiary proceedings on delegation from a district judge;
- trial and disposition of civil cases upon consent of the litigants; and
- examination and recommendation to the judges of the district court in regard to prisoner petitions and claims for Social Security benefits.
Comments from members of the bar and the public are invited as to whether the incumbent magistrate judge should be recommended by the panel for reappointment by the court and should be directed to:
Chair, Merit Selection Panel
c/o Debbie Hackett, Clerk
U.S. District Court
One Church Street
Montgomery, AL 36104
Comments must be received by October 28, 2019.