You are here


As counsel of record, can I e-file a new case?

No. The Alabama Middle District does not allow initial pleadings to be filed electronically. All new complaints and notices of removal must be conventionally filed in our court. Please remember that all conventional filings require ink signatures, and not e-signatures.

Does my employer have to let me off for jury duty?

Yes. Under federal and state law, employers must allow their employees time off for jury duty. An employee cannot be punished in any way for serving as a juror. Anyone who is a full-time employee serving on federal or state jury duty is entitled to his or her "usual compensation received from such employment." Alabama Code § 12-16-8 (1975).

Furthermore, 28 U.S.C. § 1875 (a) and (b) state that no employer shall discharge, threaten to discharge, intimidate, or coerce any permanentemployee by reason of such employee's service, or the attendance or scheduled attendance in connection with any such service, in any court of the United States. Any employer violating these provisions will be liable for damages, may be enjoined from further violations, and will be subject to civil penalty to include fees and possible community service.

Do I report my attendance fee on my taxes?

Yes. The IRS considers juror attendance fees to be Other Income and must be reported. At the end of the year, a 1099 MISC form will be mailed to all jurors who earn $600 or more in attendance fees in the calendar year. This applies only to the "attendance fees" and not for reimbursement for travel expenses.

How can I pay a federal (CVB) ticket?

You can pay online or you may also make a payment by calling the Central Violations Bureau during normal business hours at (800) 827-2982 or mail a check or money order to:

Central Violations Bureau
P.O. Box 71363
Philadelphia, PA 19176-1363

Make sure to include the location code and violation number on your payment.

How do I know if I received a federal ticket?

If the ticket you received does not say "U.S. District Court Violation Notice" across the top, then you did not receive a federal ticket. Federal tickets are issued by law enforcement personnel from agencies such as the U.S. Park Police, U.S. Fish & Wildlife, Department of Defense Police, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Provost Marshal, Airforce, Marines & Navy Security Forces, U.S. Postal Police, U.S. Customs, U.S. Border Police, and V.A. Police.

The Central Violations Bureau is designed to allow on-line payments of FEDERAL TICKETS ONLY!  This is a SAMPLE federal ticket.

What is the Central Violations Bureau?

The Central Violations Bureau (CVB) is a national center responsible for processing violation notices (tickets) issued and payments received for petty offenses charged on a federal violation notice. This includes violations that occur on federal property such as federal buildings, national parks, military installations, post offices, Veteran Affairs medical centers, national wildlife refuges, and national forests. The Central Violations Bureau processes violation notices for violations of federal law that occur outside federal property as well. For example, migratory bird offenses that occur on private property.

Where is the office located?

Our street address:

United States District Court
Middle District of Alabama
One Church Street
Montgomery AL 36104