You are here

General Frequently Asked Questions

  • How can I check the status of a federal (CVB) ticket?

    Contact the Central Violations Bureau by calling (800) 827-2982. Use option 4 to hear an automated recording with the status of your ticket.

  • How can I pay a federal (CVB) ticket?

    You can pay online or you may also make a payment by calling the Central Violations Bureau during normal business hours at (800) 827-2982 or mail a check or money order to:


  • How do I know if I received a federal ticket?

    If the ticket you received does not say "U.S. District Court Violation Notice" across the top, then you did not receive a federal ticket. Federal tickets are issued by law enforcement personnel from agencies such as the U.S. Park Police, U.S. Fish & Wildlife, Department of Defense Police, U....

  • What is the Central Violations Bureau?

    The Central Violations Bureau (CVB) is a national center responsible for processing violation notices (tickets) issued and payments received for petty offenses charged on a federal violation notice. This includes violations...

  • Where is the office located?

    Our street address:

    United States District Court Middle District of Alabama One Church Street Montgomery AL 36104

  • What are the hours of operation?

    The Clerk's Office is open from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except legal holidays.

  • Where do I file pleadings?

    Pleadings may be filed electronically by attorneys registered with our Court. Electronic filing is not mandatory in our court; all attorneys must be registered for electronic noticing.

    Pleadings may also be filed conventionally by mail or at our counter.


  • Can I file documents/pleadings after the office is closed?

    Registered users in ECF may e-file 24 hours per day. To secure the filing date, the original document must be e-filed prior to midnight, and all other rules of procedure for the Alabama Middle District must also be followed. Documents which are not subject to electronic filing may be filed at...

  • What is the ALMD mailing address?

    The mailing address for the Alabama Middle District:

    United States District Court Middle District of Alabama One Church Street Montgomery AL 36104

  • Does the office accept faxes?

    Gernerally speaking, no. The Middle District of Alabama does not accept filing by fax. Only in very rare circumstances would the Court do so; prior authorization is required by the Clerk of Court to file pleadings by fax.

  • How do I file pleadings under seal?

    Any document submitted for filing under seal, except a response or reply to a sealed motion, must be accompanied by a motion and proposed order authorizing such filing. The motion to seal will be filed as a public document in civil cases.

  • How can I get a copy of the Local Rules?

    You may download copies of the Local Rules of Practice for the Alabama Middle District for free. They are also available for free at the counter in the Clerk's Office. If you wish them mailed to you, please provide a check for the postage amount in advance...

  • How do I get copies of a case?

    You may obtain copies of a document from the file either by coming to the Clerk’s Office counter or sending a written request. (If you have access to a PACER account , you may print copies there.)

    The fee for copies through the...

  • Where do I find information on court statistics?

    Various information is available through the Statistics & Reports section of the United States Courts' website.

  • Does the U.S. District Court provide assistance to the hearing impaired?

    If you are a participant in a court proceeding and you have a communication disorder, please contact the Clerk’s Office for information on:

    Who is eligible to receive assistance? What assistance is available? Interpreters/Foreign Languages American Sign Language/Registry of Interpreters for...
  • What if I can't afford an attorney?

    Please review this list of legal services organizations .

    If you are unable to find an attorney to assist in your case, you may file on your own behalf. See Representing Yourself for...

  • How do I file a complaint on my own behalf (Pro Se)?

    Please refer to the Representing Yourself section for a complete explanation of the procedures. You may also call the Clerk’s office at (334) 954-3600 with further questions.

  • How do I file a Notice of Removal?

    The filing fee is $400.00. The party seeking removal from another court shall file a Notice of Removal (which includes all pleadings filed in the state court). The filing party shall also file a notice to the state court of the removal to federal court.

  • What is the filing fee?

    The filing and administrative fee for a civil action, suit, or proceeding is $400.00. Please refer to the Fee Schedule for a complete list of fees that the Alabama Middle District charges.

  • Is there a charge for an answer/counterclaim?

    No, the United States District Court does not charge a fee for answers/counterclaims. Please refer to the Fee Schedule for a complete list of fees in the Alabama Middle District.

  • How many copies are needed when filing?

    All attorneys are required to electronically file documents through the ECF system unless the document is an exception to electronic filing. Regardless of whether or not an original document is filed electronically, a paper courtesy copy is required for certain electronic filings. To verify...

  • How much time do I have to serve a summons?

    Federal Rules of Civil Procedure - Rule 4(m) Time Limit for Service.

    If a defendant is not served within 90 days after the complaint is...

  • How do I get a subpoena issued?

    For a complete explanation on how to issue a deposition subpoena in a civil case, please refer to Federal Rules of Civil Procedure - Rule 45. Trial subpoenas (...

  • What does the case number mean?

    Below are examples of how you may see criminal, miscellaneous and civil case numbers.

    [division #]:[two-digit year]-xx-[case #]-[presiding Judge's initials]

    03-CR-0010-WKW-CSC or 2:03cr0010-WKW-CSC 2 Northern Division CR Criminal Case 03 the year the case was...

  • How can the Clerk help me?

    We are happy to help you if we can. However, we are allowed to help you only in certain ways, since we must be fair to everyone. We have a worksheet detailing how our office can and cannot assist you.

  • Where is the Clerk's office located?

    The Clerk’s office is located on the first floor of the new curvilinear building of The Frank M. Johnson Jr Federal Building and Courthouse Complex at...

  • How can I determine the post-judgment interest rates?

    The post-judgment interest rate is the weekly average one-year constant maturity Treasury yield for the calendar week preceding the date of entry of the judgment. Effective December 21, 2000, the rate of interest that may be added to a judgment, subject to the provisions of 18 U.S.C. §3612, 28 U...

  • Where should pleadings be filed?

    Pleadings are electronically or conventionally filed. Pleadings can be conventionally filed over the counter in the Clerk’s Office at One Church Street. Pleadings cannot be filed in our Dothan or Opelika locations.